OpenSensors Raises $4m to Help Large Organizations Create Safe, Productive and Flexible Workplaces
- OpenSensors measures air quality and space utilization to help organizations return to work safely using sensors to monitor workspaces
- OpenSensors has worked with global enterprises, including FTSE 500 Financial Services and Technology companies, across North America, Ireland, UK and Europe, providing evidence-based insights to reduce costs, optimize resources, minimize environmental footprints and provide adaptable, healthy work environments
- Top tier investors back OpenSensors with $4m in seed funding
London – 16 December 2020 – Amid the struggle to create safe, sustainable workplace environments during the COVID-19 epidemic, UK based IoT startup OpenSensors, a technology company that provides data-driven workplace transformation solutions, has raised funding to scale its business. OpenSensors helps companies create the safest and most efficient path back to the office for company leaders and employees.
Founder Yodit Stanton, a twenty-year tech industry veteran, started OpenSensors in 2016 when researching how environmental factors affected her daughter’s asthma. She realized that inexpensive sensors could measure environmental health and air quality, such as CO2 and light intensity to understand and improve indoor spaces.
OpenSensors’s technology works seamlessly, behind the scenes, to reveal workplace and workforce conditions and patterns. It helps anyone running a workspace create safe, productive, agile and cost-effective work environments. OpenSensors has more than 30 customers with complex real estate operations across North America, Ireland, UK and Europe, in industries such as Insurance, Finance, Tech and more.
OpenSensors helps companies:
- Manage costs and optimize resources: Building costs are the 2nd highest expense for organizations, with office costs over £20bn per year in the UK. Yet, nearly half of office space is unused at any point during the day and only reaches 55% peak utilization.
- Reduce environmental footprint: Buildings represent 36% of global energy usage & 39% of CO2 emissions. As companies look at their own businesses and how they can build back better, managing their carbon footprint from their physical spaces is one of the top priorities.
- Accelerate the move to flexible working: Before COVID-19, workplaces were already trending to provide more flexible schedules and environments, and that change has dramatically accelerated. Now, employees don’t want to go back to five days a week of commuting to an office desk.
- Adapt workplaces for COVID-19: Research has shown how occupancy, air quality and conditions can affect COVID-19 transmission. OpenSensors tracks humidity, CO2 levels and more to guide on the optimal capacity to reduce transmission.
Yodit Stanton, CEO and founder of OpenSensors, commented:
“OpenSensors was founded to use data to measure, understand and improve the world around us. How we work and live are changing faster than we could have ever anticipated. There is a real opportunity for humanity to rethink how we use the physical world with sustainability in mind as well as making the design of workplaces better for people using them. Businesses need an efficient way to gather data about their office buildings to manage capacity so employees can return to the workplace safely and rethink design based on need rather than the status quo.”
“Through OpenSensors’ software, we have been able not only to track occupancy levels in our offices but also increase efficiency in our space management approach. I now have the information I need to make important decisions, such as whether to hire more staff, extend our offices to another floor or rent more space. Working with OpenSensors, we truly see the benefits to create a healthy and safe workspace for our people returning to the office.”
OpenSensors has raised $4m in seed funding from investors, including Crane Venture Partners. Today, OpenSensors has 16 employees distributed across Europe and will be using new funds to support international demand and build roll out products and help customers reopen offices.
Scott Sage, Partner at Crane Venture Partners:
“With data insights, real-world usage and known customer references, OpenSensors has all the ingredients to become a trusted advisor and solutions provider throughout COVID-19 and the immediate recovery, as well as supporting the shift towards more flexible working that COVID-19 has accelerated.”
OpenSensors is a technology company that delivers data-powered workplace transformation solutions. Our technology works seamlessly, behind the scenes, to reveal workplace and workforce patterns and conditions that generate the insight required for confident evidence-based decision-making. We help all stakeholders: Employees, Facility Management, HR, IT and Finance to deliver safe, agile and cost-effective work environments. OpenSensor’s mission is to make human, social, economic and environmental sustainability a reality for every workplace in the world. Learn more: www.opensensors.com.
Press kit:available here