Moneybox secures £30 million in Series C funding and reveals milestone of £1bn in assets
- Moneybox secures £30m in Series C funding to supercharge its growth and further execute its mission of helping everyone save and invest for their future
- The funding round was jointly led by Eight Roads and new investors CNP, also welcoming Breega on board as shareholders alongside existing investors
- This brings the total amount of funds raised to date to £51.3 million
- Moneybox reveals it now has over £1 billion in assets, and is growing at £100 million per month
- Moneybox announces plans to crowdfund in July, giving its community the opportunity to be part of its exciting growth journey
Friday 17th July 2020 – Moneybox, the award-winning saving and investing app, today announces it has secured £30 million in Series C funding earlier this year from existing investors including Eight Roads, and new investors Breega and CNP. Moneybox also reveals it now has £1bn in assets under administration, and announces plans to bring customers closer to its growth journey through an upcoming crowdfund.
Moneybox is on a mission to help everyone save and invest for their future. Launched in 2016, the company has experienced rapid growth and now has a community of more than 450,000 customers and a team of 120 people. At launch, Moneybox offered users the chance to invest the spare change from daily card purchases into a Stocks & Shares ISA; it now offers a range of saving and investment products including Lifetime ISAs and Pensions. Customers can set money aside in the way that suits them best using round ups, regular deposits or one-off payments, whilst popular tools such as the Time Machine help them keep their savings on track. Each week thousands of people open accounts with Moneybox, and together customers deposit more than £100m onto the platform every month. With customer growth of 121%* year on year, Moneybox is currently growing faster than some of the biggest names in UK wealth management.
The Series C funding round, which completed earlier this year, was led jointly by Eight Roads and new investors CNP. Moneybox also welcomed Breega, investors in Curve, on board alongside existing investors. The £30m raise was completed at double the valuation of the 2018 Series B funding round and takes total funds raised to date to £51.3 million. The funds will help Moneybox build on its product offering, invest in new technology, scale the team, and further execute its mission of helping everyone save and invest for their future.
Working in conjunction with Crowdcube, Moneybox will offer its community the opportunity to share in its exciting growth journey alongside existing professional investors in its first ever crowdfund. Pre-registration for the crowdfund opens today, 17th July, on the Moneybox website, with the private crowdfunding round going live late July.
Ben Stanway, Co-founder of Moneybox said: “We’re really pleased to have continued support from Eight Roads, and to welcome on board new investors CNP and Breega as we work to further execute on our mission of helping everyone save and invest for their future. Securing this funding enables us to continue to build the products, tools and technology to help people achieve their goals easily – whether it’s buying a house, saving for retirement or just a rainy day.”
“We are also very excited to announce our first ever crowdfund, giving our community the chance to be a part of our journey. We want to give everyone the opportunity to share and shape our future success and help us become one of the largest saving and investing platforms in the UK.”
Alokik Advani, Managing Director, Fintech Strategic Investments at Eight Roads said: “Eight Roads is delighted to co-lead the Series C funding round of Moneybox. Moneybox’s singular focus on improving the savings and investing experience for the UK was clear from the get go. Since our first investment in the Series B, we saw a compelling and impressive long term company vision. We have been extremely pleased by the flawless execution of the Moneybox mission since then, and have re-invested in this round.”
Ben Marrel, Founder & Managing Partner of Breega said: “Moneybox, with their best in class savings service, are remodeling and democratising the wealth management market by helping people save easily, invest painlessly and fund future projects. We are very excited to join in their journey and we’re really looking forward to working with what we consider to be one of the best teams in the Fintech space and helping them become the number one mobile savings and investment platform!”
Luke Lang, Co-founder of Crowdcube commented: “Fintech is Crowdcube’s most popular sector with almost 100,000 people investing more than £140m into digital wealth managers, neobanks and alternative finance providers. With a community of over 450,000 people, Moneybox’s mission has inspired a new generation of people wanting to save and invest for their future, which bodes well for their forthcoming funding campaign with Crowdcube.”
For enquiries please contact: Mille Winge, Moneybox, at [email protected] / +447432297400
Notes to editors
- *Customer growth from June 2019 – June 2020
- The crowdfund: For more information visit www.moneyboxapp.com/crowdfunding-2020. The pre-registration for the crowdfunding opens today, 17th July, and the private crowdfunding round will go live late July. Registrants will be notified of the live date via email.
- Private crowdfunding round: While the crowdfund will be open to everyone, eligible Moneybox users will be notified and given first access to the crowdfund on the Crowdcube website. Participation will be subject to, among other things, agreement to the Crowdcube terms and conditions.
- Eligible Moneybox Users: An ‘Eligible Moneybox User’ is defined as someone who has successfully opened an account (including a 95 Day notice savings account, Cash Lifetime ISA, Stocks & Shares ISA, Stocks & Shares Lifetime ISA, Personal Pension, General Investment Account or Junior ISA) with Moneybox.
- Public crowdfunding round: Public access may be available via the Crowdcube website. Those interested who are not and do not wish to be an Eligible Moneybox User should signup with Crowdcube in advance to be notified.
- Link to press kit.
- Crowdcube: As the world’s first and largest investment crowdfunding platform, Crowdcube enables entrepreneurs to raise finance with the added benefit of being backed by the crowd. For investors, Crowdcube provides a way to hand-pick a stake in an innovative business that traditionally would have been restricted to corporate investors. www.crowdcube.com
Moneybox is the award-winning app on a mission to help everyone save and invest for their future. Founded in 2015 by entrepreneurs Charlie Mortimer and Ben Stanway, Moneybox is already helping over 450,000 customers through a range of cash and investment products to suit shorter and longer term savings goals. In 2020 Moneybox raised £30m in a Series C funding round jointly led by Eight Roads and new investors CNP, alongside existing investors and adding Breega on as shareholders. The latest funding round brings the total funding to £51.3 million. In 2018, Moneybox raised £14 million in a Series B lead by Eight Roads.
About Eight Roads Fintech Strategic Investments:
Eight Roads Fintech Strategic Investments is a new team, established to build and invest in fintech businesses and technologies with strategic adjacencies to Fidelity International. Eight Roads is a proprietary investment firm, backed by Fidelity. Learn more here.
Breega is a founder-friendly VC, with €250M under management, investing in promising European high tech startups at Seed/Series A stage. Breega provides much more than just capital. Built by founders for founders, Breega supports its portfolio companies through each phase of their development, providing them with free-of-charge operational expertise (HR, biz dev,marketing & legal) and international development opportunities.
The Moneybox mission: Millions of us go through life knowing that we should be doing more to save and invest for the future, but we leave it at the bottom of our to-do-list because we don’t know where to start.
Moneybox is determined to change this by:
- making it easy for people to get started: our popular round ups feature allows people to save and invest the spare change from their everyday purchases, and our regular weekly deposits and payday boosts help people set their savings to autopilot
- offering products to suit every need: whether you’re saving for your first home, a rainy day, a holiday or even planning for retirement, Moneybox is here to help
- encouraging people to make the right saving and investing decisions throughout their lives: helpful features, such as the time machine tool, allow you to visualise what your savings can amount to in the future
- bringing everything together in a service which is simple and enjoyable to use
We are already helping more than 450,000 people save and invest for their future, offering the following products:
- Stocks & Shares ISA
- General Investment Account
- Stocks & Shares Lifetime ISA
- Personal Pension
- Cash Lifetime ISA
- 95 Day Notice Account
- Junior ISA
You can learn more about Moneybox at https://www.moneyboxapp.com/
Moneybox was voted Best Money App and Best for Beginners in The Times, Sunday Times and Boring Money Consumer Investment Awards 2019.
In 2020, Moneybox achieved carbon neutral status and became the first UK fintech company to sign the UN Climate Neutral Now pledge to work towards a carbon neutral world and contribute to the UN Sustainable Development Goals. Read more about our carbon emissions and offset programme here.
Moneybox is the trading name for Digital Moneybox Limited. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
Investments of this nature carry risks to your capital, including illiquidity, lack of dividends and dilution. Balance risk with a diversified portfolio. Approved as a financial promotion by Crowdcube Capital Limited, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Investment opportunities are not offers to the public and investors must be eligible Crowdcube members. Further restrictions and Crowdcube’s limitation of liability are set out in the Investor Terms and Conditions